Wednesday 3 April 2013

Too much of a good thing

With the idea of "saving the best 'til last", I had planned 2 big days today and tomorrow - the best Orlando attractions - Sea World and Universal Studios' Islands of Adventure.  We got to SeaWorld this morning before it opened so we could do the roller coaster rides without a queue and then spend the rest of the day at the numerous shows.  The first ride, Kraken, was tame compared to Busch Gardens - quite smooth, upside down about 4 times, enjoyable.  Then we went on Manta and it was amazing.  I couldn't take my camera, but here is a pic from the net:


When we got on the roller coaster, it was a normal kind of seat but our feet were also clamped into position.  Before the ride started, the seat was tilted 90 degrees forwards so that we were facing the floor and kneeling and that's the position that we stayed in for the duration of the ride (only a couple of minutes or so I guess).  So, when we went down the inside of the biggest loop, we were going head first and the g-force pushed us right back into the seat.  It was great. 

When we finished the ride, we noticed that there was a 'single rider' queue - ie: we could jump to the front of the queue and fill up any single gaps when the roller coaster was being loaded.  We decided this was a quick way to get back on the ride so we did it.  We all got on the same ride and did it again and it was just as fun - only it seemed quicker. 

But... when we got off the ride, Ali was in tears.  Oh dear!!!  She felt nauseous on the ride and was hot and clammy.  So we went outside and she lay down for 30 mins or so and she didn't feel any better.  I went to the first aid room to find out if they had any beds for her to rest and, when I went back to pick her up, she had vomited and was really unhappy.  We took her to the first aid bed and she rinsed out her mouth and had a sleep.  The sheet and pillowcase on the first aid bed were disposable!


After a couple of hours, she was feeling better, but wanted to go back to the hotel.  I managed to persuade her to go to the killer whale show because it's the high point of the park and, if we didn't go back again, she'd be sad to miss out on that.  So we did a slow walk to the Shamu Stadium and watched the show.  It really was incredible but the kids didn't really enjoy it to its full.






What a pity!  We're here only for another day and they have run out of steam. 


After the show, Ali wanted to go back to the hotel so we did.  Oh - what a waste of a precious day here!  I wish there was something I could do to give these kids just one final little bit of energy.  Ali just wants to rest and Luke is reading a good book.  They love the hotel room and just haven't got the energy anymore for one final push!  There is so much to see and do at SeaWorld and we've only just had a little glance at it.  What a waste!!!

As a big final day treat, I had purchased tickets for Universal Studios and I'd also purchased express tickets so that we could jump the queues and ensure that we'd get through the whole park in a day.  Even with express tickets, it was going to be a long day.  But Ali just hasn't got the energy and it's a huge waste of money if they're going to konk out before lunch.  So, with dragged feet, I got a refund for my tickets (lucky that they agreed).  I gave Luke and Ali a choice of about a dozen things to do tomorrow and they've both chosen to go back to Disney World to go to Typhoon Lagoon - the water park that we missed out on.  I'm holding thumbs that they have a tiny bit of energy left at the end of the day to go back to Hollywood Studios to see the Little Mermaid show and the fireworks.  Oh I really hope they do.  It will be sad to end the holiday when the kids are just too pooped to enjoy the very last day.

When Ali was comfy in bed in the hotel, Luke and I went out for lunch.  We had a yummy Greek lunch, but I struggled to talk to Luke.  He just wanted to get back to his book.  When I asked him if he'd learnt a lot on his holiday, he said, "No, not really."  So I feel a bit deflated now.  This really has been an amazing holiday and I guess that, when the kids read this blog in a couple of years, they will remember the great time that we've had and hopefully will reflect on all the things that they did learn about different cultures, health, the size of our planet, efficiencies, safety, currencies, how privileged we are to live in Africa so close to real wild life, what it feels like to walk the streets without constantly being reminded of the inequality gap in SA etc etc.  It's been a very varied and interesting trip and I guess that we're just too close to it right now for the kids to really be able to reflect on the holiday and appreciate it. 

Got back to the hotel and Al's feeling much better.  We had a game of cards together and I think she understands it now... or nearly... she did ask, "What if we've both got the Heart Ace?" 

Maybe I should leave the kids in the hotel for the evening and go back to SeaWorld ...  I've still got heaps of energy and really don't want to waste our last 40 hours here!  Ho Hum. 

...

Later... I did go back to SeaWorld for 2 hours or so.  Kids happy in the hotel room with a movie.  I saw a dolphin show which was really brilliant.

I'm sure tomorrow will be a good day.  The kids have had a good recharge this afternoon.  I definitely overestimated how much energy they had - I thought I'd be the one struggling to keep up with them!

2 comments:

  1. Shame my little Ali B - don't like hearing you were feeling grotty - are you much better today? Love you and Luke soooo much - Sue - I hope your last day with the kids is fantastic - cant wait to see you all - George agrees :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew. Think I would have conked out LONG ago. Think the kinds have done jolly well and today will be fine. Enjoy your flight, am sure the 3 of u will sleep the whole way home.
    xx

    ReplyDelete